The boredom was overwhelming, packing up boxes, labeling, and taping them up. It was work, work, work until our Nanny and Poppy rescued us. We packed up our backpacks and headed off on our second annual trip on the California Zephyr. We rode the train from Grand Junction, CO to Chicago, IL. On the train we passed the time looking out the window and talking to Nanny and Poppy. The most memorable moment was when we crossed the Mississippi river, it took about 75 seconds to cross.
In Chicago we switched trains onto the Wolverine then arrived back to Nanny and Poppy's house where more fun awaited.
My mom said we could only go if we promised to write in our journal everyday. I'm glad I did because now I can remember it for years and maybe even read it my own children and grandchildren someday. Here are some quotes from my journal:
June 4th
"We stopped in Fruita, CO to go to a dinosaur journey museum but it was closed. Then an employee said, 'you can visit for 30 minutes, admission free'. "
June 5th
"I had a tour of Great Uncle Larry's property. I saw his garden, fish pond, and green house....I wish I had my camera with me then"
June 6th
"We boarded the California Zephyr. It is the second longest Amtrak train only beaten by the Texas Eagle. It was so scenic until we got to Denver. We passed through a 10 minute long tunnel."
June 7th
"We crossed the Missouri river in the morning. We loved seeing all the farms. I spotted 3 water towers and one lightning bolt. We then crossed the Mississippi river."
By June 8th we were already at Nanny and Poppy's house and there is too much to write about. I hope this post will show people how fun it is to spend time with your grandparents. I hope to take my own grandchildren on a train trip someday because riding the train was way more fun then taking the airplane back to UT.

Sounds like you had a great trip with your grandparents. I'm glad you had so much fun with them.
ReplyDeleteYou got to see a lot of the country from the train window. It's a better view than from an airplane. :-)
ReplyDeleteJames - could you help me out with this - is there a train that goes from Salt Lake City to Minneapolis? I'm thinking of planning a trip. Where can I find more out about trains?
ReplyDeleteI am glad you had a fun time. I think Joseph would love a train ride too!!
ReplyDelete