With colder weather drawing in there was need for another quilt to drag around and cuddle in.
I am not a quilter so I like to keep it simple with no plan of an expected end result. I simply cut and sew and let the quilt become itself. In this case I got to do it along side of Peter outside on the most beautiful day of Fall.
Most of the fabrics were from a pile of scraps from my sister in law Eva's mom. We then used a lofty wool batting, Quilter's Dream from alewivesfabrics and an old sheet as the backing. But well before that Peter added his own special touch of hand embroidery to remind us of the year we made it. What I enjoyed most was the quiet focused conversation we had as this quilt came about. Hand embroidery may be just the thing that very active little boys need.
This quilt is sure to see much use so machine quilting was the most durable (and quickest) way to finish.
I think one simple quilt a year will be just enough to keep these growing kids and this growing family cozy.


The quilt looks great! Some of the fabrics bring back childhood memories..
ReplyDeleteAt this rate, you are going to have more quits than me. NIce job! does the wool batting really make a difference?
ReplyDelete