The decision to have a home birth was not an easy one. Honestly it terrified me, but early on in my pregnancy I knew it was an option I needed to pursue.
The midwife I selected, Beth Barbeau, was incredible in her ability to not only mentor me through the processing of my fears but also in preparing me physically very early on for a safe delivery. She often reminded me the labor of giving birth starts months before labor actually sets in, and is not through until several weeks after delivery. I was committed to take her recommendations very seriously.
But despite my careful diet, daily exercise and rest, my body presented some concerns with blood pressure and glucose levels as I headed into the third trimester. Beth suggested some natural remedies to stabilize the problem but gently stated that if they did not stay consistently within normal range we may need to consider a hospital birth.
This discouraged me but allowed the opportunity to consider this decision to give birth at home with more earnest prayer and deep meditation. And the answer that was whispered to me was very clear, it was consistently the same.......
Where you put your trust there you will find your peace.
So this birth journey became a great lesson in trust.
Trust in the natural processes of my body, the innate wisdom within me and ability to give birth naturally. Trust in angels, those physically present supporting me, my husband, my midwives, my friend Krissy, and my sister Mary........... and also the unseen angels that I cannot doubt were present.
Trust in the whisperings of a holy spirit that I knew would have prompted me in peace and not fear had there been need to change course anywhere along the way.
And mostly trust in a Heavenly Father who has granted me this experience to learn and grow, knowing that it is only when walking into the unknown and exercising our faith and trust that we are able to draw out the very divinity we have within ourselves.
This message again, where you put your trust there you will find your peace, carried me through the loneliness I felt from lack of support from family and friends, it comforted me as I waited patiently for my husband to come to peace with my decision to give birth at home, and remained with me until Charles was safely in my arms.
I am now taking this lesson beyond the birth experience, allowing it to enable more courage and confidence in all directions of life.



Home birth is a big topic of debate at the moment in Australia. One of its major supporters recently lost her life after giving birth at home. Surely not a decision taken lightly. Be eternally grateful for your positive experience.
ReplyDeleteI just read about this tragedy and my heart goes out to the grieving family.
DeleteThanks for sharing that message. I think it can be applied to our individual situations as well your own. I've had a couple of close friends and family members recently have home births. They made those decisions like you, with much thought and prayer and had wonderful expereiences. Happy for you and a sweet baby! ps I'm making a couple baby blankets for our upcoming arrival. One I want to just be a swaddling blanket without the fluffy batting. Any tips how to keep the two materials together without actually having to tie/quilt it?
ReplyDeleteBeth - congratulations on the upcoming arrival!
DeleteI have made several swaddling blankets with just two pieces of fabric and no batting. Cotton has the property of sticking to itself so there is usually no problem. Flannel works the best for this and also holds a nice tight swaddle but I've also made them out of old sheets but nobody likes to use those because it does not hold a good swaddle.
these are my favorite to use http://www.adenandanais.com/shop/swaddles.aspx
Good luck and keep us posted!
We tried SO hard for a home birth six weeks ago! I'd love the chance to try again, but I think that ship has sailed. http://idahobecky.blogspot.com/2012/01/god-knows-our-every-desire.html
ReplyDeleteBecky - that is an incredible story! I am glad you were able to find peace and healing along the change of course. Part of the home birth process for me was to prepare and act wisely if a change of course had been necessary (and to be honest it almost did happen but that is a story I'm not yet ready to share here, maybe soon, maybe never) It is hard to share such personal stuff with an unknown audience but your post just upped my courage to do so - thanks
DeleteSo happy for your beautiful birth Al. All of those pregnancy, birth, circumcision decisions are so difficult, made worse by the fact that most people (in this country) don't give them a second thought. Sounds like you are being thoughtful and prayerful! Lots of love-Cath
ReplyDeleteThanks Cathy- It is not
Deleteeasy to act outside of what is "normal"