It's been an extra hot summer here in Michigan.
We live with no a/c and mostly it has not bothered us, but sometimes by the evening the stagnant heat is unbearable. On such nights it would be crazy to fire up the stove or oven so instead of cooking dinner the family is simply offered chilled watermelon, kale/berry smoothies or a special trip to Gee's for ice cream.
These outings usually come with very little notice just at the breaking point of over heated parents, we'll call out, "who wants to get ice cream? who wants to go swimming? get your bathing suits on and hop in the van". Unlike trying to get out the door for church or other events the entire family is ready and in the van within minutes, maybe because these summer evening activities are simply "come as you are".
We are lucky to live just miles from a great lake and I think it is funny that I had no idea it was here until this summer, oh the hot and wasted evenings of last summer! But the kids now know the routine very well, grab a noodle, kick off the crocs, sink right in and let all the melted ice cream wash away.
It is always more fun when Daddy is along because he's in there chest deep throwing the kids, splashing and even serving as the diving board.
I usually just remain knee deep with baby Charles wrapped on my side, all the while squinting as I count heads and yell at the kids to not swim out so far.
There's really nothing fancy about this lake, I've been told by a few other locals they've had the same playground equipment for nearly 30 years. And there's really nothing fancy about our routine to get there, no road trip, reservation or exclusive membership required. Probably what makes it so great is the simplicity and lack of planning, we go because it is simply too hot to do anything else. And in the end I realize there is nothing I'd rather being doing any way. Oh the joy of family summer evenings and the excuse to enjoy the seasons of life with the ones I love most.



0 comments:
Post a Comment