I'm happy to report that the garden boxes were the best investment of the season. It is so easy to hop out the front door, take 5 steps and pick lunch. We are eating a lot of salad and sauteed greens. It is nice that all this space needs is occasional watering, replanting and very frequent picking.
On the west side of the house the snacking tomatoes are happy. We have one cherry and one yellow pear tomato plant. So far the yellows are the only ones ready to eat, the kids have been watching each fruit individually and brag out how delicious it was when they find one ripe. It has become kind of a game and I'm not sure I like it.
I have a beautiful hot black Hungarian pepper plant between the two tomatoes. I'm not sure I know how to cook with it but is is pretty.
Along the side porch rests the brick pathway project that was suppose to be started and finished 3 months ago. Besides that everything else is fragrant and blooming.
Along the back I've allowed the volunteer hollyhocks to remain where ever they please.
We've cleared out a junk bed behind the garage and not sure what to do with that yet. It is east facing and below the giant black walnut so I lost most of what was planted last year including rhubarb and tea roses. All that is left is hollyhocks.
I actually have big dreams for this space as a screened porch/outdoor kitchen. But with the pace of our brick pathway I'll have to maintain patience with this vision.
In the big garden we let some carrots from last year go to seed. I'm not sure yet how to collect the seeds but I'll leave that to Peter since he is in charge of seed saving. After reviewing how much I spent on seeds this year Paul offered to pay Peter for all the seeds that are collected for next year's use.
The romas are looking much more plentiful than last year! That is a good thing because we just used up our last jar of sauce from last year. I think we need to double what we canned then.
The potatoes are blooming.
There are signs of grapes. Unfortunately the two baby goats Spike and Greta have found their way into the garden and chomped down a few vines. They are listed on craigslist right now for $75 each and if it happens again it might be edited to FREE!
Here is Clara's garden. The cosmos is taking over and we look forward to some happy blooms. I showed her how to mulch with grass and she kept at it until a giant dragon fly spooked her. It was black and she asked me if "it was an evil fairy". I promised her it was not but still she has not been close to her garden spot ever since.
The corn is coming up. We have a bi-color and a patch of broom corn.
We've put nets over the blueberries and checking everyday for ripeness. I'm afraid they will be much like the "snacking" tomatoes, eaten faster than they can be returned to the kitchen.
The hugel beds are producing very strong plants. Peter has observed the kale there is almost double the ones from the front beds. I do have concern about the squashes. We have already lost 3 due to fungus. It has been a wet summer and I'm wondering if the density of the plants is trapping too much moisture.
Here are James' bird house gourds. He refuses to use straw mulch because he thinks it is "embarrassing", he asked me why I can't just buy wood chips, "like normal people". I remind myself that he is a teenager and will not try to figure out the reasoning behind that one. This is his space and he can do as he pleases.
Across another hugel bed the Asian greens are going to seed and so we let them. The sunflowers are just about to burst into bloom and it is a constant task of chopping down the emerging weeds. For the most part though it is productive plants that are taking over.
Here is the pea tower. It did not happen as planned. The old fan guard on top was not strong enough to hold the weight and the bailing twine is disintegrating before our eyes. Net year I'll look for an old bicycle wheel and use stronger twine. The peas are producing it just just does not look pretty and failed to create a secret hiding place for the kids.
Maryanna helped me picked a pile this last week and as she was snacking and picking she lost a tooth. It fell out then fell somewhere beneath her feet. We couldn't find it so she decided to find two the biggest peas, drew a picture of what happened and hoping the tooth fairy accepts that in lieu of her tooth.
This batch of heirloom Hungarian heart tomatoes could use some more support also. I've got it on my list to get some heavy stakes for them.
The best part of this report is that we are eating! Here's a sample from Charlie's baby bowl. Rice, broccoli, pac choy, eggs and a sprinkle of bacon.
p.s. one should always wear their glasses when picking and washing broccoli. After a few chomps while still picking I discovered those sneaky worms.







Wow, it all looks wonderful, filled with so much goodness. Enjoy every bite.
ReplyDeleteHappy weekend.
Thank you Kim!
DeleteI have a wonderful recipe for stuffed hungarian peppers that comes straight out of Hungary. It is something we eat a lot and everyone loves it. I would be happy to give it to you if you want. Your garden looks beautiful.
ReplyDeleteHi Amy - I would love the recipe. Is it really spicy because the plant marker has "HOT" on it, I"m not sure I saw that as I was planting.
Delete