Friday, December 30, 2011

Happy Homemade Christmas 2011: gifts from the kids


Weeks before Christmas when asked what was the favorite Christmas tradition, favorite gifts given and favorite gifts received, the answer was the same, homemade gifts.  So it continues.  This year we started the first week of Christmas because I knew my energy would be lagging.  I also directed the children towards simple creation that could be done without too much help from me.  As pictured above the kids took turns staying up late to work in secret, turning our play room into an elf's workshop.  Here's what they made:

To:  Henry
From:  George

This is a set of homemade playdough mixed with essential oils.  George really enjoyed the messy participation in mixing these up.  We found a perfect sized box at a thrift store to store them.


He also painted him the letter H.  It was picked up at a craft store and George was completely independent in painting it (and himself).  


To:  William 
From:  Henry

I had all sorts of ideas that we could have made for William but Henry had his mind set on Star Wars guys.  So we made some out of FIMO, Henry did a lot of the work but Peter helped us so they would be true to character.  


I took it a step further with an idea I saw on Pinterest.  Before baking these guys I pierced a hole up there back so they could ride a mini zip line like this.  It works out okay but I'm sure William's inventive spirit will find a way to improve the design. 


They also make for funny window ornaments.


To: Maryanna & Clara
From:  William & Peter

The boys worked together on this since it was such a fun project.  They made mini FIMO food for the Calico Critters.  They were over my shoulder looking at mini FIMO food on Pinterest, here's what they came up with:



I'll have to say their favorite part of this project was probably eating all the Trader Joe's vanilla mints so they could have a tidy tin to store the food in.  They then decorated the tins with duct tape paper.


The girls have enjoyed serving up many little feasts to their Critters.  And they have also fretted over already lost tiny pieces.  Looks like this mini FIMO food project will continue into the new year.


To:  Peter 
From:  Clara

Weeks ago we purchased a large suede purse from a thrift store with the intention of remaking it into a tool belt for Peter.  But when Paul pulled out two brand new ones that were just laying around his workshop area our plans changed slightly.  We made a nylon web belt then simply personalized the found tool belts with a burning tool.  This was a perfect gift for Peter because his pockets are always bulging with stuff and can never seem to find a pencil for school time. He's even been sleeping with it on! 




To:  James
From:  Maryanna

James has been practicing magic for a few months now and really needed a box to keep his supplies secret.  Maryanna and I found one the perfect size at a thrift shop then painted it up and added gold stickers.  It was simple to do and a very useful gift, and James admitted to me he was relieved we didn't sew him anything.


To:  George
From:  James

This was probably one of the most exciting gifts to get finished.  Probably because it was James' idea from start to finish and I had my doubts.  We picked up a piece of scrap soft maple from the Re-Use center and James drew on the designs.  An old neighbor helped with cutting them out on the band saw then James spent many hours sanding them down then wood burning on the details.  He made a sheep, a cat, dog, chicken, duck, pig and Michigan football player.  I sewed up a little carrying bucket from an old burlap rice bag.  



James also decided to make something special for Paul.  I'm not sure if this was so much a gift as it was revenge for all the times Paul's beaten him in football, wrestling, chess and ticket to ride.  It is a 50 question test that James assembled out of his encyclopedia brain, I reviewed it and only got a few correct.  Paul says he's going to have to study a bit before officially taking it.  



In addition to this test, James spent several hours the week before Christmas typing up 20 pages of journal entries from his summer train adventure with Nanny and Poppy, that was his gift to them.  Also not pictured are the piles of scraps of paper cut and decorated and delicately wrapped by Maryanna.  She handed them to me with breathless enthusiasm.   

In addition to homemade gifts Santa usually brings at least one big toy per child, Mommy and Daddy offer books, socks, Jammies and other needed tools and art supplies.  But the first gifts opened are always the homemade gifts because like I said earlier these are always the favorites.  

3 comments:

  1. Love that the gifts are so tailored to each child! And that questionnaire is so funny. Smart kid! (and maybe dad).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jerome would like a copy of James's questions.
    I am in awe every year of all the creative things you guys come up with.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are amazing. And pregnant. Wow.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails