Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Food Storage to Furniture



I've been searching for a couple of months for the perfect stool for the desk Paul's mom gave me.  Originally the desk was Paul's grandma's vanity but no one knows what happened to the original stool. I've searched thrift stores, ebay, etsy and antique stores but have not been able to find one that would fit perfectly, I came close but they all were at least 1/2" too wide.

When I came across this tutorial I was interested but very skeptical.  The food bucket actually fit the perfect dimensions I was looking for and since I already had almost everything on hand I gave it a try.  The only thing I had to buy was the foam and was very surprised how expensive it was, luckily it was on sale.

Now for the work of it.  In the tutorial it tells you to draft a pattern and use some "finessing" to pull the cover over the bucket.  My finessing was more like a full body wrestle with the stool and still cannot figure out how they got such a perfect fit.  I ended up folding over a piece to cover the very messy seam that split as I tried to pull it over.


It is not perfect but it works and no one would ever imagine it once was a bucket of oats.  I did weigh down the bucket with a bit of water softner salt but I suppose if the sandbox was not covered in snow I would have dug up some sand for that purpose.  

Here it is again at my desk, it has proved to be the perfect solution and combined with the right fabric looks just right where it rests.  Now the girls are waiting for me to make one for their room.    
  

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails