Saturday, September 12, 2009

Modern Pioneer Wear




When you are living in a small space with six young children it is important to get out everyday.  One of our favorite field trips is This is the Place Park.  Every time I go there I get the urge to sew up some costumes but then there are so many other things I'd like to sew and there isn't time for it all.  I suppose they look pioneerish enough in these dresses I finished for them just last night.

These dresses were from a Japanese sewing book (more about the pattern here) and there seems to be a prairie like trend in my most current books.  I have yet to post much of what has been sewn for the girls this fall but all of it fits into a similar trend.  I was discussing this with my sister Suz and wasn't sure if it was a) because my hopes to find a farm for our family, b)  I've been following the Duggars too closely this summer, c)  I'm just off in my style because I haven't been shopping in a while and living in tight quarters, or d)  I've been looking at too many Japanese sewing books.  Suz made a trip down the Zara's in downtown Mexico city and reassured me there were similar styles on display there.  She mentioned that she personally didn't like them, that her eye wasn't use to most of it but must not be far off if they are selling it at Zara's.

I like this particular style with the neutral colors because it offers a fall feel in a cut that is more comfortable while the weather is still hot. But we can easily add tights, turtle necks and even a cardigan when the weather cools off. I have to admit that dressing these little girls almost makes up for all their naughtiness.            

6 comments:

  1. Cute dresses, Al! I'm always impressed with your sewing. I just moved my sewing room and it is in total disarray. But when it's all cleaned up and organized maybel I'll start sewing again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. They are so perfect! I'd bet you can put white or cream log sleeve shits and jean or leggings to carry it into fall.

    ReplyDelete
  3. They, the girls and the dresses, are adorable!

    We've noticed a trend toward the prairie style in clothes too. I've always wanted to be brave enough to wear old-fashioned styles. Instead I make them for my younger girls to wear and dream of biting the bullet and wearing them myself one day. I have started buying a couple of patterns to try after I have the baby. I harbor a secret wish to wear an outfit exactly like Jessica wears at the end of "Man From Snowy River", the one with the blue skirt and cream blouse. {{sigh}}

    I did make a patchwork maternity skirt combining the instructions from here and here. I LOVE it! And have received many compliments when I wear it.

    I'd love to see the girls' wardrobe for fall. We've been so busy just rearranging bedrooms, painting, etc. that I gave in and actually bought new clothes for the kids for fall. It cost a half a bundle (I did shop clearance and used cashback from my credit card) but felt remiss about missing out on sewing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Al - they are so cute. When are you guys moving?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those are so cute. I love the matching "pioneer" boots they have. One thing about living at Mom's is that it seems like you are getting a lot more sewing done. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love that style. Very cute dresses.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails