Sunday, October 11, 2009

The joy of garage saling and frivolous purchases


Our move date will hit us in less than two weeks yet I still went garage saling yesterday.  

The hope was to find a few warm clothes for the boys since it's cold and we are still living out of the suitcases packed for summer.  Instead I returned home with some maternity clothes for myself, a Coach purse, baby boy clothes (yes - it's a boy! with all the uncertainty of point B I could not wait to find out), Little House on the Prairie books, Bionicles, a brand new diaper bag, boy scout shirt for William, and a purple wool sweater to refashion for Clara - all under $25.

This morning I dressed quickly for church then spun into Paul with a smile announcing the total for my whole outfit, $5.  $3 skirt, $2 sweater, $1 blouse and the necklace, gold and onyx with a cloisonne pendant was found in the pocket of an old suitcase I picked up at an estate sale (I would have returned it but it was months after the purchase that this treasure was discovered).  My boasting continued with all the kids clothes, books and toys picked up at garage sales over the past couple of years.

Paul smiled kindly then asked, "what about your shoes? how much did you spend on them"?  Unable to lie I fumbled, "oh, um, yeah.... I think they were around $90" then desperately added "but that was when I was over due with Henry and feeling really sorry for myself".  Paul chuckled as he quoted Jim Bob Duggar "buy used and save the difference", then with amusement added "I don't think that is the same as 'buy used and spend the difference on something frivolous' ".

It's true, I admit shoes and fabric are amongst my weaknesses as a home economist.  Perhaps our transition to farm living will finally cure me of it, unless of course I just transfer the weakness to something like heirloom chickens, pretty work wear for women, or fancy canning equipment

12 comments:

  1. So your move came through? Fabulous! I'm so excited for you :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You look so pretty in that outfit. Good for you. You have a talent there. I am still collecting compliments for the dress you found for me at a garage sale and re-sized to fit me.

    I love combining bargains with investment pieces. The shoes complete the outfit.

    I hope you don't ever get cured from nice fabric and patterns. I don't want to loose my partner in crime.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Al, I agree with your philosophy. Buy used and spend the difference on a frivolous purchase. ha!! Congrats on a successful garage sale day. We'll have to go to DI soon as the garage sale season is ending. You'll have great thrift stores to browse in Ann Arbor :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. One thing I really miss about living where we do is the garage sales. They just don't have them way out in the country! You're outfit looks fabulous. Congrats on the baby being a boy too! Can't wait to see what clothes you end up sewing for the little guy before he arrives.

    When I switched to cloth diapers and we saw a HUGE difference in our savings my husband told me, "You're the one doing all the work saving here and there so you're allowed to spend whatever you want on yourself." Of course, he knew it's hard for a mama to spend money on herself, but it has been nice to be able to splurge here and there.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You learn something new every day. For instance: Marie's use of the term "investment pieces" to refer to shoes.

    Very different from the concept of "investments" they teach in business school.

    I'd like to learn more....

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's a great outfit--and the shoes really complete it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Al--great outfit. I can't wait to see you in some of those pretty work wear for women, especially the pink coveralls. haha

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hope all goes well with your upcoming move! What is bringing you to Michigan?

    ReplyDelete
  9. The outfit looks great, so do you! Nothing wrong with a pair of $90 shoes every so often, as long as you're not going into debt or shorting your family to get them. Much cheaper than antidepressants or a psychologist (and I'm only half-joking here).

    ReplyDelete
  10. Where to begin with this post? First off, you are a fabulous pregnant person. I just can't get over your ability to do everything and still look great. Secondly, of COURSE a $5 outfit should be accompanied by $90 shoes. That's just common sense in fashion. Third, I knew you were looking for a farm; I didn't know you had landed on something. Where's the blog post about that?
    And for good random measure, here's an update from Michigan. Mary and I went running a week and a half ago. She's in great shape; I am not. And I've been running consistently for, oh, two months! I wanted to run the Turkey Trot, but now I'm afraid I will have to walk most of it because I don't seem to be picking up steam!
    I can't wait to hear more on the happenings and adventures in your household.
    Caryn

    ReplyDelete
  11. Congrats on another boy!

    Where do you garage sale? I've got to start driving up there on Saturday mornings. You find the best things!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yay for another boy! How do you get so lucky and have them together like that? My room every other has made room sharing difficult. And shoes are worth the splurge! You can wear them with so many outfits so if you divide up the cost per outfit they really are a super savings! :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails