This advent house was purchased 5 years ago at Down East Home for less than $20. It had another family's name on it but that was an easy fix.
The kids have really enjoyed opening the numbered doors each morning not knowing what the surprise might be. Some days there would be stickers or chocolates, other days a slip of paper would announce a fun activity or craft planned for the day, sometimes the slip of paper would lead the kids on an adventure through the house and some days there would be a scripture reference for them to look up about the birth and life of Jesus Christ.
I can't say the doors were filled every morning because just like the tooth fairy I'd forget, sleep in and then tell the kids to all run back to bed and try it again in ten minutes. That gave me just enough time to scrounge something up even if it was just cough drops.
December 1st crept up quickly on us this year. Just when I thought I was done unboxing from the move it was time to unbox Christmas decorations. As soon as it is time to box Christmas back up again it will be time to unbox newborn baby supplies.
We have decided to simply the tradition of the Advent house. It came to me just as one child opened the first box and with disappointment cried, "it's empty". I told them this year instead of "getting" from the house we were going to give. The little girls helped me cut strips of paper and placed them beside the house for individuals to anonymously record acts of service and kindness given throughout that day. Before any gifts are opened Christmas morning we will open each door and read the crumpled up papers reminding us of what truly are the best gifts to give.
Sunday morning just after recording his kind deed one of the boys ran to me wrapping their arms around what they could of my very pregnant belly, beamed and whispered, "I just can't help but smile". I have never witnessed such a response of joy with any other gift, treat or offering that has been retrieved from the Advent house or even unwrapped from under the tree. So this simplified version of the Advent House will become our new tradition with hope to fill all our days with moments where we "just can't help but smile".


Al--I love this idea. We have been crazy busy and have not done our advent house and it still has the name Giordanos on it. hahaha I think we will do the same as you but start on 13 and do 12 days of Christmas service.
ReplyDeleteGreat Idea Al! I'll have to get the kids to do something like that before Christmas! :-)
ReplyDeleteI love your ideas - thanks for sharing!
ReplyDeleteWhat a great idea. And I am jealous of the cute advent house--how fun.
ReplyDeleteGreat idea, Al! I should do that too... today is the 18th and we haven't opened a door since the 11th.
ReplyDelete