Monday, December 27, 2010

Homemade Christmas: Baby Quilt

To:  George
Made with Love
From:  Clara




This quilt was made from Paul's old Brooks Brother's dress shirts, scraps from a linen skirt, some soft old corduroy pants, and a bit of fleece.  The appliqued "G" is a brown velveteen from the scraps of the girl's dresses, babies love texture and I love that this quilt is covered in it.


I started the machine quilting but the time crunch before Christmas made it sloppy so I stopped.  This week we may finish it but I can't promise it to be perfect because remember I'm not a quilter, nor is little Clara.  

Marie' is the one who got me interested in quilting - her finished projects always tempt me to give it a try.  When she sent me a link to Oh Franson, I could not resist.  Here is a peek at the back. 


The backing is a Japanese print from Super Buzzy.  Browsing through all their prints was almost as much fun (and time consuming) than sewing the quilt.  I was 1/4 yard short so I used the same piecing technique I saw on Oh Franson.  The machine quilting does not look great but it was my first try and enough to convince me it may be my last.


You may ask, "how is this from 4 year old Clara"?  Well, I certainly did the majority of the work but utlimitly it was Clara's idea, her layout, and her final say on the backing fabric.  She did arrange the pieces, clip some threads, sit on my lap, and keep me company during the process.  But what I think she enjoyed most was wrapping it up and hiding it under her bed (even though George saw the entire process while wrapped on my back).

1 comment:

  1. I love it! I may have to copy this one for Alexander. I especially love the over-sized "G". I can't sew clothes, but I think I may be able to handle quilting

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails