This box of chirping chicks arrived early Monday morning and that day proved to be full.
We've never ordered chicks before. Our first batch of chickens were picked up on Craig's list and then after we had the rooster we had a few chicks raised by the hens Mendori and Cupcake.
For this batch I let each child select one breed. We ordered 2 Delawares, 2 White Wyandottes, 2 White Orpingtons, 4 Black Australorps, 2 Buff Cochins, 2 Buff Laced Polish, 1 Dorking, 1 Phoenix, 1 Cuckoo Maran, 1 Easter Egger and 1 mystery chick.
This was something new; it was an exciting package for us all!
First each chick was given a dip of fresh water.
And then a hug.........
and many threatening squeals from this baby with a found toothbrush.
Aside from the baby, I believe my children are mastering the art of quiet observation; and oh how I love to catch them in this state.
Now for the rest of the story.
I wasn't exactly ready for the chicks the morning they arrived. I thought I selected "the week of April 29", not early morning April 29. I thought I'd have more time to get totally ready for them. We were lucky to pull it all together with some second hand brooding supplies just before it was time to milk.
I was not careful enough in studying the appropriate bedding for baby chicks. The package of cedar chips waiting in the tack room was from an experienced chicken keeper so I did not think twice.
A neighbor was by to visit the chicks and had some concern with the use of them, I reassured her it was fine and finished out the day. By midnight her concern was haunting me; I visited the little chicks and they did seem stressed. I picked up a couple of my chicken books and sure enough in italics I read cedar chips are toxic to chicks!
Paul was out of town and I was not in the mood to fix this problem on my own so I tiptoed to the bed of the boy who loves chickens the most. I whispered, "William, William I need some help with the chicks". He just grunted so I pleaded again. Still no response so I said, "Hey William, I was wondering if you'd like to share a bowl of ice cream with me". He lids immediately lifted.
Down in the kitchen I explained the situation as I scooped the ice cream. We discussed possible solutions and decided to get some straw instead and lay an old towel on top. Then as we were moving them over we discovered more than half of them had compacted poop under their feathers; perhaps they were eating the cedar chips or maybe it was just due to the stress of them.
One by one we picked them up and with a package of baby wipes wiped their tiny bums. A few were harder than others and we had to gently tear some feathers away. Just the thing I'd like to be doing at 12:30 am.
The crazy thing about exposed skin on the chicks is it causes the other chicks to peck at it. So the thought came to me to look for some comfrey in the garden, it would both distract the chicks and assist in healing the wounds.
I've never been in the garden at 1 am and experienced a whole new perspective. The night was clear and William and I took the opportunity to observe the sky. Did you know there is something about star gazing that freezes time? We soon remembered the chicks, fed them the comfrey, treated them to a spray of rescue remedy and they soon dropped in a pile of sleep.
William and I soon found our ways back to our pillows as well, but before parting I hugged him so tight and thanked him for his willing hands here on the farm, he returned the hug and thanked me for the ice cream.
Just yesterday I shared this story with a friend, I wondered openly if I was taking on too much, this I did as I was loading 8 of my own children and 2 little goat kids into the van. With a sparkle in her eye she reached her arms to the sky and declared "this is experience! And what a blessing it is".




Ahh I loved it when we got our chicks in the mail. Memorable moment! We look forward to that again one day soon. We finally found a place. We made an offer and we will see how the inspection goes. A small farm, 5 acres. I am a little nervous but excited too. I so enjoy reading your blog and hearing of your farming adventures.
ReplyDeleteJudi :)
So excited for all the adventures that await you! Congratulations!
DeleteThanks! :)
Delete