Wednesday, May 26, 2010

To Smile in the Face of a Challenge


This year it was my turn and privilege to present the Julie Wirthlin memorial scholarship at Andover High School.

When I think about my sister Julie I can't help but smile, and even if a tears are to surface, it is always a smile that radiates in her memory.

Her smile was contagious.  Her smile was true to her character, pure, honest, courageous and kind.  She gave of it freely.

Julie was the 15th child in our family of 17 children, it was her bold smile and sparkling eyes that set her apart from the bunch, it filled our home with joy.

This smile also filled the halls of Andover High School and was carried with her as she participated in both cross-country and track.  She understood the joy of physical activity and raced solely for the fun of it.

She built many strong friendships on the teams and on occasion, when track practice was through, she'd gather up some teammates to fly kites across the football field.  When there was not enough wind, she convinced them that if the parking lot was empty they could fly the kite out of the passenger window - which they did.

Julie was diagnosed with cancer at age 16.  She went thru treatment and then returned to school with her bald head held high, without a trace of self consciousness and a smile brighter than ever.  She did not fear - she smiled in the face of this challenge.

When she was well, she joined her teammates in running again.

When the cancer resurfaced, she still attended every meet she could, acting as the team photographer.

Julie lived life zestfully, and instead of turing to self-pity, she took each literal breath with gratitude.

Her example has inspired and lifted me as I have faced my own challenges.

My family has set up this scholarship fund in her memory, not only to support continued education but also that her legacy may be a source of inspiration to both the chosen recipient and all the graduating seniors.

To them, and all those who remember Julie so dearly, we boldly encourage to go forward with confidence, smile in the face of your challenges and live life as the precious gift that it is.

I will also add that the above image may not be of the highest quality because it is a scanned copy of the one I keep floating in my purse...... it always seems to pop out at me just when I need a smile.

Also the above text are the notes from my presentation.  I scribbled them down on the car ride over to the event and with a frozen computer and barely enough time to nurse the baby Paul's dad very kindly and carefully hand wrote them out for me.  Had he not done so I may have lost my cool and just blubbered a  mess of words and tears.  


10 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing this. You have filled my heart this morning.

    She is radiant, you can see her beautiful soul in her eyes. And your kindness to us, in honor of her, blessed our family in a very personal way. Thank you again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Before I could leave your blog, 2 of my daughters strolled by the computer and saw Julie's picture. My oldest one said, "Wow, who's that? Look at the light in her eyes."

    After hearing who she was and reading your post, my youngest one, your little friend, smilingly said "Are those her curlies?" referring to her own returning curly hair. So cute. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a beautiful story. Life is very precious and so fragile, isn't it? I think it is very special that your family has a way to keep her alive through a scholarship. Thanks for sharing her story.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Al --you did a great job. You both made me smile and cry. I am glad you had the opportunity to present the scholarship this year.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ditto to all the above comments, Alison! Such an inspiration. It's great to see a picture Julie and learn more about your wonderful sister. She must be one of your guardian angels. What a blessing. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Such a great tribute! I am also glad you have your blog address. I hope to keep in touch and learn from your amazing talents!
    ~HEIDI

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is Katja, your dad's former German tutor. Your dad forwarded me your question about the German didymos baby wrap. I have actually never heard of them or seen them, so I don't know if they are any good or not. Sorry, but I can't help you.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great job Al! That is a great tribute! I'm glad that you were able to represent the family :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Al
    thanks for presenting the award this year. That is a great tribute to Julie.
    Bry

    ReplyDelete
  10. Dear Alison, finaly after a looooong search i have found you again...so much missed you on facebook but now here it tells me lot more about you and your ever so wuderbarer Familie you are a amazing young mum, my greatest regards to you all, but then, you come from a truly GOOD stock as we say here in Switzerland...you still do your own wool? went to a farm here 3 Days ago they had there alpaca, lama Kamel,sheep from which they made wool, loden, and so fort we also have seen how they made felt, so interesting....wishing you all the very best till my next visit ...love therese

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails