
Is it all little girls? I don't want to say they are naughty but perhaps instead I could label them as creative, independent, capable, determined, spirited, and full of life. Unfortunately I am unable to capture and document all of their little episodes (because sometimes I need to take immediate action) but here are a few more: coloring on baby Henry's face, getting into my 25 lb. bucket of flour, climbing into the tub fully dressed, denting the wall then peeling paint and plaster off (just before a house showing), cutting their clothes, cutting their hair, spraying mommy with the hose through the kitchen window, pouring and sharing a bowl of cereal in Clara's crib, painting the bathroom with toothpaste, locking themselves in a bathroom and consuming hand soap, and running out to the front yard naked to pee in the neighbor's bushes.
There was no need for baby proofing with my boys but I have gone beyond baby proofing with the girls. We have out of reach dead bolts on our doors, closets, and storage room. So I guess my worst fear is what mess or trouble I will find them in next. I keep reminding myself of late crops and for as much trouble as they cause now, they just may become my right hand helpers in the years to come.
So that brings me to an even greater fear.....from the words of our dear prophet Thomas S. Monson:
"If you are still in the process of raising children, be aware that the tiny fingerprints that show up on almost every newly cleaned surface, the toys scattered about the house, the piles and piles of laundry to be tackled will disappear all too soon and that you will-to your surprise-miss them profoundly"
I fear that the days, and years are ticking by a little too quickly......that all my little ones will be on their own before I know it, before I learn to just relax and fully enjoy it.


Al--great post. I love all the mischief they come up with-- I think they take after their mother and are creative and busy. Henry's picture is darling in your closet.
ReplyDeleteOh, that is so true. When Pres. Monson said that this time, my eyes filled with tears at the thought. Children are precious!
ReplyDeleteVery well put! I too seem to always be screaming in my mind "SLOW DOWN EVERYONE! I WANT TO ENJOY LIFE TOO!"
ReplyDeleteMy girls were just the opposite. Never had to worry about baby proofing. Now with Baby Brother I fear the worst.
ReplyDeleteI love that thought from President Monson! I fear that time is slipping through my fingers way too quickly also. Thank goodness for eternity!
ReplyDeleteAlison - I loved this post. You're making me feel much more confident in my daughter. I too never had to worry with baby-proofing for the boys. But this little girl is into EVERYTHING! The word "spirited" also made me feel better with Gavin.
ReplyDeleteWonderful post! My girls have been so easy but the boy is a different story. I sometimes lament that we had to have six girls before we got our boy because he needs seven mothers to keep an eye on him! The time flies by so fast. I can't believe how grown up my oldest has become this last year. It puts an ache in my heart.
ReplyDeleteI am so glad you took those pictures. Priceless!
ReplyDeleteQuinn is starting to look and act like Asha. I am in a big hurry to get in real good shape to be able to chase him around.
I had given a big speech about "NEVER touching the windows and mirrors, OR!!!" the day before conference. When President Monson said your quote, Jerome and Asha both looked at me with a little grin.
Maybe they will be little angels as teens and are just getting it all out of their systems now. ;)
ReplyDeleteha ha hahah... i thought it was going to be a fear of laundry from the photos at first... and boy to I have that.. I hate to fold clothes... I should have mentioned that fear
ReplyDeleteand yes there are plenty of creepy crawlies in australia (probalby the same as anywhere near the equator - hot places have lots of bugs) all my american friends who live here and the sister missionaries and our international students who live with us all find it hard with lots of screaming involved... on korean girl was screaming in the middle of the night.. I go and check on her.. its a moth... honestly ... what the?
so I think we are used to it.. they breed us tough down here ;)
I have one of each, boy and girl and they were both pretty easy to raise.......Our son is grown now, just purchased his first home at the tender age of 22 and our daughter is 15....they do grow up so very, very fast........enjoy these years for they will past all to quickly.
ReplyDeleteAs the mother of three daughters myself, I agree whole heartedly with you about them being "full of life."
ReplyDeleteI absolutely loved the theory of the "late crops." Never heard that one before, but I'm hoping it's true! The prospect of my lively girls turning into beautiful teenagers is daunting and a little scary. :)
I'm going to have Pres. Monson's quote engraved and hanging in a place of prominence. :)
Happy Halloween!
Yeah that is WAY BETTER than dirty diaper clean-up!!!!
ReplyDelete