It is actually 40 and sunny today! The kids are outside playing without coats (some without shoes) and Clara requested I pull out her pretty sandals.
But this is Michigan so unless we plan a trip to Florida, it will be several months before I pull the sandals out. Clara actually needs some slippers. All her "spinny" moves have worn holes in the bottom of most her tights this winter. So I plan on making her a pair of wool felt slippers/leg warmers to get her through the remainder of winter.
Here is the test run I completed this morning. It all started with this wool felted cardigan.
I cut off the arms.
And traced my foot on a piece of scrap leather that was picked up at a thrift store weeks ago.
Switched to a leather needle.
Set my machine for a wide zig-zag and sewed around the edges just like I finished James' fleece socks.
It is easier to sew with the leather side up because it can stick. After inside outing it, pull to expose the zig-zag seam the to the outside, this reduces uncomfortable seam allowance around the toes. I also like the way it looks.
It fit good so I proceeded with the second one. I sewed it in warmth and comfort.
Final product - please note how I took advantage of the ribbing on the sleeve. These were quick and easy so I'm off to the thrift store to find some more leather for Clara's pair.
As for the rest of the sweater, I'm wearing it.




You rock.
ReplyDeleteThanks Jo - I'm not feeling so great about the project anymore since Clara has insisted she will only wear fluffy bunny slippers and is not interested in anything homemade
ReplyDeleteNo you should still feel great about the project!
ReplyDeleteIt's ingenious!
ReplyDelete