Monday, January 3, 2011

Homemade Christmas: Etched Glass Mason Jar for Drinking

To:  James
made with love
From:  George

Actually you all know George did not do a thing to help on this project.  He simply stayed content wrapped on my back while I participated in this craft at a Relief Society activity.  

Some of the ladies questioned why I was etching James' name on a mason jar.....my answer was "so he'll know which one is his".  The next question was "for what"?  I suppose it may be strange that we all like to drink out of mason jars.  It is an easy way to keep track of our water consumption but not very easy to keep track of who's is who's when they are all lined up on the counter.  But now James does not have to worry mason jar mix up.



Glass etching is as quick and satisfying as freezer paper stencils.  The difference is you use contact paper and etching solution instead.  Paul's mom and I split a large container of etching solution and made a few pyrex dishes for our neighbors as well.

This was a great project but not as fun to play with as the other gifts so I thought I'd share what kept James entertained all day Christmas and hopefully through a long and cold Michigan winter.


4 comments:

  1. What a terrific idea! We've etched pans before but never thought about jars. Just last week while we were going through our cupboards I told my girls about a restaurant in Georgia that served its beverages in mason jars with handles. We thought it would be a great idea. I found some on amazon and we'll try your idea out!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's a very southern thing to drink out a mason jar. In fact, as a child we had mason jars with handles on them that were made for drinking out of.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cannot get this idea out of my head. Are there specific instructions somewhere or can I trouble you for them please? Im ever so hopeful that this will cure our constant cup chaos that clutters the counters!

    Thanks for your blog. It is a delight and source of great ideas for this mom of many!

    Blessings,
    \
    Leslie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Leslie-

    Thanks for stopping by here.

    Here is a step by step on how to do it.

    http://familycrafts.about.com/cs/glassetching/a/071601a.htm

    The etching solution is kind of expensive so find a 40% off coupon for Micheals or Roberts.

    Good luck!
    Alison

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails