Saturday, January 29, 2011

A Little Blue Horse for a Girls' Room


I've been threatening to paint some of the walls in our rental home for months but Paul suggested I channel my house frustrations in other ways, so I did. 

This mural was created to liven up the girls' little bedroom.  I got the idea from this site and allowed the girls to select their favorite mural.  Of course the little horse lovers chose the horse mural.  It is designed after Franz Marc's Blue Horse painting but we didn't discuss much about it because the creative tension was too strong for even a few words - we just dug in silently with our pastels and loved it!


This was declared as the one of the best art projects ever.  I agree, it was super exciting to see how the colors blended and how it all came together.  We mounted it on an old Ikea box (as a homeschooler I save all sorts of strange things "just in case") and it was just right.


Dont' mind the messy kitchen behind me as I steadily moved forward with this project.  After trimming it down I painted the outer edge (cardboard frame) red with and added an outline of glitter.


Here it is again mounted up with Scotch tabs above the girls' beds.


  Seeing how the girls act at bedtime I'm not sure how long it will last up there but at least cardboard and paper are harmless, there's no way I'd put any piece of glass in their room, but I learned that the hard way years ago.

Now the boys want one of their own but I've got to find another large piece of cardboard first.

3 comments:

  1. Love the new banner. Our family looks so neat and tidy now, everyone in perfect descending height. I wonder what it will look like when everyone is fully grown...

    I agree that the cardboard is harmless. I'd be nervous putting anything heavy/breakable up on the girls' wall.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel energy from it. And I am sure your kids are very proud of their contribution! you can also hang a quilt. It is pretty safe!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! I love it! and I agree w/ paul - your new banner is cute. Who did the watercolor?

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails