Saturday, January 1, 2011

Homemade Christmas: Felt Food

To:  Maryanna
made with love
From:  Peter


Who would have thought a 6 year old boy obsessed with football would also enjoy late night sewing with his mom.  Peter really took to this project and what started out as just a few pieces of food turned into a felt feast!  Below are a few of the more complex pieces.  The grapes took the most work with Peter patiently cutting out all 19 circles and stitching them by hand.  Some of the other pieces we were able to cheat and use the machine, for example bigger pieces like the watermelon.  The peeled banana is funny because you can actually pull out the inner white felt banana, but Peter said for some reason it didn't look appetizing out of the peel.


Here is the sandwich spread.  The ham and cheese are basically just two pieces of felt cut to the desired shape and finished by machine around the edges, Peter was very pleased to complete these entirely on his own.  I on the other hand started to get nervous as he pedaled my sewing machine like a race car.

If you look closely you will see the bread was constructed out of felt from Joann's whereas the rest of the food is out of finer Japanese felt that Marie' so kindly got me from Japan.  I think with the amount of work and the amount of play that goes into this food it is worth using the better quality felt.


Here is breakfast.  Most of the pieces we did were from the Japanese felt food book but the bacon we just made up on our own.  What is really cool about the bacon is there is elastic on the inside to give it an authentic crinkled look.


When I got tired of the felt food Peter was not through sewing and came up with the idea of a hot mitt.  He got one from the kitchen and stitched two pieces of fabric and batting together in a similar diagonal pattern then I helped him navigate the zig-zag and bias tape around.

When we were through Peter was very pleased and said...."now I know why you love sewing so much".


Here is the food in action.  Maryanna always likes to use her pretty table cloths as forts above.  


It was a sweet and lovely party until Daddy showed up with big cones from Baskin Robins.  Then the girls got hyper and messy......... and please note Clara is still wearing the gift that Peter made for Maryanna 2 years ago.


6 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am glad you are making a dent into you fabric stash! the felt food turned out so cute. Tell Peter that he can join us when we have another sewing party.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is the best idea! We did a few homemade gifts this year and I really noticed how much more meaningful it was for the kids. I will definitely be borrowing some of these great ideas for Christmas next year! :) Thanks for posting

    ReplyDelete
  5. I LOVE the felt food! How did you get it all DONE?!! I like how they have their how hot pads.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails